KJAA Preview Show Schedule of Events
June 1-2, 2019, Kansas Sate Fairgrounds, Hutchinson, Ks
Judge: Britney Creamer, Montrose, Co
Entry Deadline May 25, 2019 for mailed/postmarked entries, May 27, 11:59 pm cst for online entries . Entry fee $25 per head.
Entries open April 1-
Start your summer at the Preview Show
2019 Ks Jr Angus Preview Show
Kansas Junior Angus Association members are planning their annual summer Preview Show. The Preview Show will be June 1-2 ,2019 on the Kansas State Fairgrounds in Hutchinson.The Saturday– Sunday event, will start with check-in, the annual meeting contests, Stock Show U and the picnic on Saturday and the show on Sunday. Cattle classes will include owned and bred and owned females, cow/calf pairs, bred and owned bulls and registered, commercial and predominately black Angus crossbred steers.
Juniors may also compete in showmanship, sales talk, herdsman’s quiz & public speaking contests Two showmanship representatives to the 2019 National Junior Angus Show contest in Louisville, KY, as well as members of the KJAA team sales NJAS teams will be chosen through contest participation. The two day event will feature the KJAA annual meeting, officer elections and awards presentations. The Kansas Angus Auxiliary will conduct their summer meeting and award scholarships in conjunction with the Preview Show.
Hotel: A block of rooms is at the Atrium Hotel, block rate is $69, phone 620- 669-9311, ask for Ks Jr Angus Show rate.
You must be a member of the KJAA to show and participate in contests. $5 one time fee valid through age 21. Not a member join now- click here.
See Preview Show rules below the schedule of events.
KJAA Preview Show
June 1-2, 2019, Kansas State Fairgrounds, Hutchinson, Ks
Judge: Britney Creamer, Montrose, Co
Entry Deadline May 25, 2019 for mailed/postmarked entries, May 27 11:59 pm CST for online entries. Entry fee $25 per head. www.kansasangus.org
Start your Summer at the Preview Show
Kansas Junior Angus Association members are planning their annual summer Preview Show. The Preview Show will be June 1-2 ,2019 on the Kansas State Fairgrounds in Hutchinson. The Saturday– Sunday event, will start with check-in, the annual meeting contests, Stock Show U and the picnic on Saturday and the show on Sunday. Cattle classes will include owned and bred and owned females, cow/calf pairs, bred and owned bulls and registered, commercial and predominately black Angus crossbred steers.
Juniors may also compete in showmanship, sales talk, herdsman’s quiz and public speaking contests Two showmanship representatives to the 2019 National Junior Angus Show contest in Louisville, KY, as well as members of the KJAA team sales NJAS teams will be chosen through contest participation. The two-day event will feature the KJAA annual meeting, officer elections and awards presentations. The Kansas Angus Auxiliary will conduct their summer meeting and award scholarships in conjunction with the Preview Show.
Schedule of Events
Friday May 31 -Grounds open for cattle 11 am
4 -5 pm – Early cattle check -in (may be limited to stamped papers)
Saturday, June 1( all activities are on the Ks State Fairgrounds)
9 am to 10 am– Cattle check in. Check tattoos/freeze brands and all original registration certificates. Weigh Educational Contest registration. All cattle must be on grounds and checked in by 10 am.
12 pm– Contest and showmanship registration closes. KJAA members do not have to exhibit cattle to participate in the educational contests.
11 am– KJAA annual meeting. Officer elections.
1pm Herdsman Quiz. ; Coloring Contest
1:30 pm– Public Speaking and Extemporaneous Speech Contests. Ages 8-13, 14-17, 18-21. NJAS rules apply. www.angus.org/njaa
3 pm– Sales Talk Competition, ages 8-13, 14-17, 18-21. Compete as individuals, NJAS format and rules. www.angus.org/njaa
TBA- fitting contest- select 4 NJAS team members
4:30 pm- Kansas Angus Auxiliary meeting
5:30 pm–Sullivan’s Supply Stock Show U - Fitting, Showmanship, Show Attire, Plus Fun for ALL!
7 pm– KJAA Picnic and Awards Ceremony. $10 per person (please make reservation with entry or if not exhibiting email kansasaangus@wbsnet,org by May 27)
Sunday, June 2
9 am– KJAA Preview Show
· Steers : Registered Angus ,Commercial Angus, Predominantly Black Angus–Cross
· Bred & Owned Heifers
· Owned Heifers
· Cow/Calf Pairs
· B/O Bulls
· Supreme Champion Selection
Showmanship: NJAS representatives selection, PeeWee- Non -exhibitors 8 and under, Novice- KJAA members exhibiting cattle 7-9 years old, Junior- 10-13, Intermediate 14-17, Senior 18-21.Ages of 1/1/19, must exhibit OWN animal with exception of NJAS selection class and PeeWee Class.
Preview Show Rules
1. Tie facilities will be available for use by exhibitors on Friday, May 31-11 am.
2. Cattle must be checked in by Saturday , June 1, 2019 at 10 a.m.
3. The KJAA Preview show will be held at 9:00 a.m. Sunday, June 3, 2018 at the Kansas State Fairgrounds in Hutchinson. There will be a $25.00 entry fee for each animal entered; postmark deadline is May 25, 2019 or Submit on-line at www.kansasangus.org on or before 11:59 pm cst May 27.. NO LATE ENTRIES will be accepted. Ribbons for each class will be provided as well as champion and reserve champion ribbons for divisions and overall awards. After check-in cattle must remain on KSF until release, cattle are released after completion of their respective classes.
4. All registration papers must be properly transferred according to the rules of the American Angus Association and solely in the name of the junior exhibitor by May 25- for owned heifers and steers. Bred and owned cattle must be registered by June 1. You must have your ORIGINAL registration papers with you at the show.
5. Tattoos and original registration papers will be checked at the show. Any animal that is not tattooed or has an incorrect tattoo will not be allowed to show. Freeze brands allowed as per AAA rules.
6.Health papers are not required, but cattle must not have warts, active ringworm or show signs of sickness or disease. Females (of age) are to be OCV.
7. Females must be born on/after September 1, 2017 to be eligible to show.
8. Bred-and-owned heifers may not be entered in the owned show.
9. STEERS-Classes for registered Angus steers, commercial purebred Angus steers and Angus-based predominantly black crossbred (Angus sire or dam) steers, born on/after January 1, 2018 . Registered Steers must comply with NJAA rules. Commercial Angus and Angus Cross steers must comply with Kansas 4-H and FFA rules. Reg. steers show by age.
10. BULL show for registered bred-and-owned Angus bulls born January 1, 2018- December 31, 2018
11.COW/CALF pairs may be exhibited provided the calf is bred-and-owned by the exhibitor and the junior is the sole recorded owner of the cow. If entries are sufficient a bred & owned class may be made. A.) If the cow was not bred by the exhibitor, the issue date on the recorded transfer of the cow must precede the breeding date of the cow for the calf at side. B.) Calf must be the cow’s most recent natural calf and must have been born on or after September 1, 2018 C.) Calf must be registered by check in and shown on halter.
12. Contestants must show their own animals unless 2 or more are exhibited in the same class in such case another KJAA member is allowed to show.. In the case of illness or injury a KJAA member may be allowed to show in your place with a written doctor’s excuse. Notice must be received at check in. In the case of an emergency illness or injury at the show after cattle check-in , the show chairman (KJAA president) must be notified prior to the class in order for a substitute showman. Failure to show a doctor’s excuse or in the case of a show emergency contact with show chairman prior to entering the class will result in disqualification of the entry.
13. Classes will be set up according to age and number entered. Steers refer to #9
14. Exhibitors must be members of the KJAA. If not a member, you can join when entering.
15.Cattle will be bedded on provided chips. Bring your own feed and hay as well as straw for tie-out area. No feed or straw sales during show.
16. SHOWMANSHIP– Novice (ages 9 & under must be an exhibitor), Junior (ages 10-13), Intermediate (14-17) and Senior (18-21) showmanship contests will be held. (all ages as of January 1, 2019) . Each contestant must own and exhibit their animal***. You must be an exhibitor to show in showmanship; exception is pee wee class.
17. Members ages (14-21) competing to represent Kansas at the NJAS showmanship contest will compete in a specific showmanship class. You may compete in only 1 showmanship class. ***Older members competing to go to the NJAS may borrow a heifer , however you must notify an advisor or KJAA president (show chairman) before entering & showing. You must have been a KJAA & NJAA member prior to showing.
****Cow/calf pairs are not recommended for showmanship, if an exhibitor has only a pair an exception may be made by speaking to the show chairman or advisor to allow borrowing a heifer for showmanship. The pair will not be permitted in ring, it must be separated either the cow or calf shown individually.
18. The MEMBERS of the KJAA have voted that this be a “no fit” show, defined as exhibitors may not use any glue, adhesive, coloring or paint products.. Oils, “kleen sheen” type products, and foams are allowed. If you have questions ask! Aerosols will not be allowed in the make up area
19. Show dress code– NJAA rules. Collared tucked in shirt.